Step aboard the American Star and start your day with a 2hr cruise featuring Cape May’s mascot, the Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin.
Sunset Dolphin Watch
- Adult Ages 13+
- Junior 7-12 years
- Child 6 and under, 1 free per each full fare paying adult.
- Extra Child Ages 6 and under, in excess of 1 per adult
End Your Day Magnificently with a Sunset Cruise in Cape May!
Enjoy complimentary pizza and hot dogs as this sunset cruise completely encircles the island of Cape May. Join the research team as your onboard marine biologist and naturalist leads the cruise with a science-based educational experience that separates us from others. Discover a different vantage point of America’s Oldest Seaside Resort, Cape May, as your naturalist explains historical landmarks such as the Cape May Point Lighthouse and Science Center, Congress Hall, Sunset Beach, among many others. The American Star is equipped with a full galley, bar and gift shop which accepts cash and credit card. As a member of Whale SENSE, a voluntary program which trains all of our captains and naturalists on responsible marine mammal viewing techniques, you can be sure the American Star sets the example for all other vessels on the water. As with all of our Cape May cruises, you can rest assured with the Cape May Whale Watch & Research Center’s Marine Mammal Guarantee. In the event of no marine mammal sightings, including whales or dolphins, you will receive a free return trip that never expires (weather permitting). Book your Cape May sunset dolphin cruise online today!
Is there parking available onsite?
– Yes, we have free parking available onsite in our designated Whale Watch parking lot. An attendant will be there to guide you to the appropriate free parking lot.
Are there bathrooms on the boat?
– Yes, the American Star is equipped with 4 restrooms onboard.
What happens in the event of bad weather?
– Our trips sail rain or shine! We have a full indoor cabin, several outdoor covered areas, and ponchos available onboard. If the Captain cancels the cruise in the event of severe weather (Tropical storm, hurricane, etc.), you will be offered the option to reschedule to a future trip or receive a full refund.
Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
– We strongly recommend purchasing your tickets in advance to guarantee your spot on board. Our trips often sell out.
Are there food/drinks available onboard?
– Yes, we do have a full galley, bar, and gift shop onboard that accepts cash or credit card.
Can I bring outside food or drinks onboard?
– Yes, outside food and beverages are allowed onboard, however, no coolers or outside alcoholic beverages are permitted. We do have a full galley and bar available onboard.
Do you guarantee sightings?
– Yes, we have our Marine Mammal Guarantee. If no marine mammals are sighted on your cruise, including dolphins or whales, you will receive a voucher to join us on a future trip that never expires!
Do I need to wear a life-jacket onboard?
– No. We have life-jackets for every passenger onboard and they are used for emergency purposes only. The United States Coast Guard annually inspects all safety equipment onboard the American Star, and your captain will give a detailed safety briefing as your cruise departs.
When is the best time to see dolphins?
– We sight Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins daily from March to December 98% of the time. The beauty of our cruises is that you are traveling through these animals natural habitat and each trip is different from the next!
Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
– Depending on tide conditions, there may be several steps to get onboard the American Star. Standard manual wheelchairs can be lifted onboard by mates, however, due to their weight, power wheelchairs cannot be accommodated at this time.
Can I take a stroller on board?
– Yes, strollers are welcome on board.
How far from the coast will the boat go?
– This cruise typically travels around the island of Cape May within 1 mile of the shoreline. However, the exact route can vary due to marine mammal activity and weather conditions.
Will I get seasick on this cruise?
– The American Star is 100ft long and very stable in our Atlantic Ocean conditions. If you are susceptible to motion sickness, we recommend taking precautions with Dramamine, Bonine or Sea Bands. These are available at the dock.
Is there shade on the boat?
– The American Star was custom built for sightseeing with passenger comfort in mind. There is a spacious inside cabin available to keep you out of the elements as well as numerous shaded areas outside on deck.
Will the boat be crowded?
– The American Star is a 100ft long vessel custom built for sightseeing. It has seating for over 250 passengers, however, we limit our trips to 149 passengers so you can always rest assured that you will have plenty of room onboard to enjoy your cruise!
Can I smoke onboard
– No, the American Star is a nonsmoking vessel.
Is the cruise dog friendly?
– Yes, we are dog friendly! Furry friends are a member of the family and we gladly welcome well behaved, leashed dogs onboard!
Are group rates available?
– Yes, discounted group rates are available for groups of 25 or more people. Please call us directly at (609)-898-0055 for a group quote.